[tei-council] Example of <app> with multiple <lem>s

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 14 05:00:01 EDT 2013

On 13 Jun 2013, at 13:48, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:

> Thanks Elena. Based on this, I'm inclined to rephrase the constraint
> like this:
>
>   <constraintSpec scheme="isoschematron" ident="only1lem">
>       <constraint xmlns:sch="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron">
>         <sch:assert test="count( tei:lem) &lt;  2">
>            Only one &lt;lem&gt; element may appear as a direct child of
>            &lt;app&gt;.
>         </sch:assert>
>       </constraint>
>     </constraintSpec>

This is redundant for <app>.  As I read the schema, it only allows one <lem> child
of <app> anyway.  The problem is the beastly <rdgGroup> thing, and the fact that
it can be repeated and self-nest.

I fear that the simplest thing to do is to remove the constraint entirely for the moment
unless and until someone can re-express what exactly it was intending to prevent.
The alternative is a rethink of <rdgGroup>, which we don't have time or mandate for.

now, you may ask why <rdgGroup> appears to allow multiple <lem> children. What
is the intention there? maybe _it_ needs the constraint.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services