[tei-council] hello fraktur fans

Paul F. Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Thu May 2 10:07:33 EDT 2013

We tend to think of fraktur as a great-nephew of the 16th-cent.
blackletters, rather than a sibling: the Continental blackletters
included some that qualify as a kind of proto-Fraktur, but others
that do not; none of the English blackletters are closely related.

I avoid "Gothic" absolutely, since it appears to be so ambiguous
(especially in a type-design context) as to be meaningless.

Our worries are about how to assign @rends when there is significant
alternation not between blackletter, roman, and italic, but between
textura, rotunda, and bastarda variants of blackletter (the
terminology being that used by Isaacs in his book on English types).
CSS does not seem well suited to this kind of distinction.

pfs