[tei-council] pesky PIs

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Apr 26 08:45:12 EDT 2013

On 13-04-26 03:17 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> I know I should have squawked about this before, but this decision to
> add PIs for Oxygen to use when validating ODD files has two downsides:
>
> -- it does not work if you are offline (or tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk is
> misbehaving, which does happen)
> -- it does not help  you validate against some other version of the
> schema, for example one you've just modified
>
> Of course, these can both be fixed by editing out the PI or changing it,
> but the chances you'll remember to change it back before checking in the
> document concerned are not good.
>
> Not sure what to do about it ... but isn't that what catalog files are for?

We've gone from a situation in which the files were always invalid (in
Oxygen) unless you set up a special local setup to one in which they're
almost always valid unless you're making a change to the actual schema
(which really doesn't happen that often, surely). In the latter case,
can't you just generate your local version of the schema (make clean
schemas) and validate against that?