[tei-council] list/@type example

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Apr 22 11:22:28 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm doing the conversion of list/@type to @rend, and came across this
rather odd example from the CO chapter (full quote below):

<list rend="runon" type="ordered">
       <label>(1)</label>
       <item>My first rough manuscript, without any
intermediate copy, has been sent to the press.</item>
       <label>(2)</label>
       <item>Not a sheet has been seen by any human
eyes, excepting those of the author and the printer:
the faults and the merits are exclusively my own.</item>
    </list></egXML>

(There are two of these.)

I contend that @type="ordered" is pointless here, because the numbering
is supplied in any case by the <label>, so I propose to remove it. All
who disagree please say nay loudly and soon; silence = assent.

Full quote:

<gi>item</gi> element.  If the numbering or other identification for the
items in a list is unremarkable and may be reconstructed by any
processing program, no enumerator need be specified.  If however an
enumerator is retained in the encoded text, it may be supplied either by
using a <gi>label</gi> element.  The following examples are thus
equivalent:
<egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples" source="#GibAut">I will
add two facts, which have seldom occurred in
the composition of six, or even five quartos.
<list rend="runon" type="ordered">
       <label>(1)</label>
       <item>My first rough manuscript, without any
intermediate copy, has been sent to the press.</item>
       <label>(2)</label>
       <item>Not a sheet has been seen by any human
eyes, excepting those of the author and the printer:
the faults and the merits are exclusively my own.</item>
    </list></egXML>
<egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples"  source="#GibAut">I will
add two facts, which have seldom occurred in
the composition of six, or even five quartos.
<list rend="runon" type="ordered">
       <item n="1">My first rough manuscript, without any
intermediate copy, has been sent to the press.</item>
       <item n="2">Not a sheet has been seen by any human
eyes, excepting those of the author and the printer:
the faults and the merits are exclusively my own.</item>
    </list></egXML>

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)