[tei-council] You can now validate Guidelines chapters and Specs easily

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Apr 19 12:16:51 EDT 2013

Over the last few days Sebastian and I have been working on making it a
bit easier for people to edit parts of the Guidelines and Specs and
validate their work.

Previously, if you were working on a document such as a Guidelines
chapter or an elementSpec, you had to know specifically which schema to
validate the document with -- a standard TEI schema wouldn't do it,
because these files are rooted on <div>s or <*Spec> elements instead of
the normal TEI root elements. Even if you knew which file you were
supposed to be using, validation would often fail because of various
idiosyncracies arising out of the fragmentary nature of the files.

We have now ironed out those issues, and linked all the files in the
repository to two schemas on Jenkins:

http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/jenkins/job/TEIP5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release/xml/tei/odd/p5odds.rnc

http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/jenkins/job/TEIP5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release/xml/tei/odd/p5odds.isosch

(one RelaxNG, one Schematron). You should now be able to edit files in
the repo and validate the results before committing them to SVN, and
thus to Jenkins. Those of us with full working TEI editing environments
on Linux have always been able to find ways to validate our work, but
now it should be much easier for everyone with an editor such as Oxygen
on any platform to do it. So if you haven't dipped your feet into
editing the source yet, take a look at
<http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw20.xml> ("How to
edit the Guidelines"). I'm going to update that page soon to add info
about the schemas.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)