[tei-council] Should Roma be doing this?

Paul F. Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Mon Apr 8 15:40:00 EDT 2013

Since I always worry first about how out of step our practice is...
Looking only at our most recent 1,000 uses of <list @type, I see that
none of them is really renditional. But then, we don't worry too
much about rendition: I think my working assumption is that there
are basically two rends of list, <ul> and <dl>, and that they are
distinguishable by their content models (if it contains <label>
it's <dl>, etc.).

Here are the actual @types I find. They don't all make sense to me,
and not all belong to the 'list of ...' genus, and some of them have
renditional implications, but none specifies rendition per se.

<LIST TYPE="anagram">

    This is for the common form that looks like this:

    o Torchwood
    o anagram: Doctor Who

    Could be done with <seg>s instead, I suppose.

<LIST TYPE="dramatis personae">

    We use this in place of <castlist>

<LIST TYPE="syllogism">
<LIST TYPE="prosyllogism">

    o All oceans are wet
    o The Atlantic is an ocean
    o ERGO the Atlantic is wet.

<LIST TYPE="analogy">

   ??

<LIST TYPE="litany">

    o St. Jude pray for us
    o St. Athanasius pray for

<LIST TYPE="genealogy">

    For capturing family trees as nested lists.

<LIST TYPE="index">
<LIST TYPE="officers">
<LIST TYPE="observations">
<LIST TYPE="propositions">
<LIST TYPE="articles">

    The 'list of..." type.
    This use is rare: we tend to get rid of it in favor of
    a superordinate <div type="list of ..." >

<LIST TYPE="definitions">

    This looks suspiciously like a glossary (<dl>) type list
    but maybe not.

So does this avoidance of the renditional put us (for once) ahead
of the curve?

pfs