[tei-council] Providence meeting logistics/preferences

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 5 14:29:13 EDT 2013

On 05/04/13 18:15, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>>> I'm sure I've seen some in Oxford, no? Perhaps just off of
>>> St Aldate's, somewhere between Pembroke St and Rose Pl ?
>> oh dear god, you mean a kebab van?
>> i'll bring some antiobiotics.
> No, no -- this is what James noted was so different.  While we've long
> had cheap fast food from trucks/vans, the trend these days is toward
> upscale (read: often overpriced) fusion cuisine catering to foodies.

Yes, what I was curious about in College Station at the
Conference was that they made such a big deal out of it. The one
we used in College Station was just as Kevin describes, better
food quality than the typical kebab/burger/chips/chicken vans
that are in every major city in the UK but the quality so far has
not been anywhere near the level of pretension and/or reverence
locals seem to have for them. Decent, edible food, but vastly
overpriced for what it is, even when fairly cheap. ;-)  But as
I've said, I'll eat almost anything (though that doesn't stop me
recognising some meals are better than others), and I'm happy to
provide a review of the ones in Providence after the fact. ;-)

I agree in general that we want something that gets us up and
walking around, doesn't take too long, cost too much, but allows
us to talk comfortably.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Research Support, IT Services, University of Oxford