[tei-council] Providence meeting logistics/preferences

Paul F. Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Fri Apr 5 11:59:25 EDT 2013

Surprisingly, I can echo almost everything James said. Exceptions noted
below. pfs

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013, James Cummings wrote:

>> Travel to Providence:
>> Wednesday:
>> Early arrivals are welcome to get in touch and come up to campus for to
>> visit and hang out.

I'm actually arriving Tuesday afternoon, and plan to spend Wednesday
in Boston visiting my daughter, itinerary subject to her whim. She
tells me that she plans to get married in two months, and we have not
actually discussed this. I'm a little afraid.

> Sould we arrange to meet at the Biltmore Lobby at a particular time? 7pm?

If I'm back by then, sure. See above.

>> Thursday:
>> I have a swipe card for each of you so you can get past the library lobby.
>> So either Syd or I will be in the lobby at 8:30 in order to disburse the
>> cards.

8:30 it is. Out of the curiosity, is the library commonly known as "the
library"? or "Rock?" or something else entirely? Ours, for example, is
usually called "Hatcher" or "The Grad"; whereas the library next door is
officially, and increasingly, known as "Shapiro" but used to be known,
aptly, as "The UGLI".

>> Food in General:
>> Are there food allergies, issues, habits and preferences, that you want
>> known before I buy shrimp flavored peanuts coated with bacon bits for
>> snacks.   (you can reply to me personally if you prefer)
>
> I have no food allergies but don't mind admitting publicly that I
> dislike coffee, raspberries, and cream cheese. Shrimp-flavoured
> peanutes coated with bacon bits would be just fine. (For some
> value of 'fine' meaning 'sounds disgusting'.)

I've never tried coffee, so I can't say; tend to avoid seafood but
not with conviction. Love raspberries and cream cheese (yes, and
custard too.)

Shrimp-flavored peanuts are a SE Asian thing, I believe (Vietnamese and
Thai?) but I gather are not always taken to well by newcomers
http://getoffthetrail.com/2012/08/08/shrimp-flavored-peanuts-237-of-365/

The bacon bits, I think, you'd have to add yourself.

>> Food-Coffee and Snacks:
>> I am planning on providing coffee in a box (1 box in the morning and 1 or 2
>> in the afternoon), a water boiler and tea bags for tea and various snacks
>> (breads in the morning, cookies/trail mix in the afternoon) vel sim. If you
>> think that most of us will prefer to go out and buy higher quality coffee
>> or if you are all tea or water drinkers, then I won't bother. Same for
>> snacks.
>
> I don't drink coffee because it tastes icky whatever the quality.
> I'd be happy with tea or happy to bring my own water or more
> likely caffeine laden fizzy drink. But I will happily snack
> almost continuously on any snacks available and then regret it
> later.

Ditto to all of the above.

>> Food-Lunch:
>> Should it be provided or do we want to order in pizza or go out to nearby
>> food places or the food trucks?
>
> I'm very undiscriminating when it comes to food and eat almost
> anything (except those things I dislike mentioned above, and even
> some of those if I'm trying to be polite). I'll leave it to more
> cultivated palettes to comment.

Ditto.

>> Food-Dinner:
>> Food preferences listed above will play into where we may go for dinner.
>> However, I propose to invite you to dinner on Thursday chez Mylonas-Durand
>> (TEI is treating, we're cooking), which will allow for more hanging out
>> time, the ability to talk to more people than the one sitting next to you
>> and so onl. Is that agreeable? I live close to campus, and we will provide
>> rides home.
>
> Sounds good to me.

Ditto.

>> Entertainment and Meeting Rooms:
>> Thursday at 5:30 there is a great talk in the DSL (the space where we are
>> having our meeting). We will have to clear out around 4:30 and move next
>> door to allow for setup. However, the presentation is being given by John
>> Cayley, one of our electronic writers, and he is planning on showing some
>> code-based works (he does a lot of google hacking), but also performing a
>> new piece, some kind of audio visual text based extravaganza. If you want
>> to stay for that and do dinner afterwards, that would be great. It might
>> set the schedule back by about 30 minutes, but well worth it.
>
> This sounds like fun to me.

Ditto?

pfs