[tei-council] Approval of SIG for Computer-Mediated Communication.

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 4 06:01:32 EDT 2013

Dear TEI Technical Council,

You may have noticed that in the agenda for the council meeting I
added a:
Approval of TEI-SIG for "Computer-Mediated Communication", but it
occurs to me that this could probably just be done on the mailing
list.

Find attached (if the mailing list allows attachments, I've
forgotten) a SIG proposal for a TEI SIG on computer-mediated
communication. They also have a panel proposed for the TEI
Conference (also attached).

You may also remember their article in Issue 3 of the jTEI
http://jtei.revues.org/476 coming out of their paper at the TEI
conference in 2011.

I can see no reason why we'd want to prevent formation of this
SIG in any way as it doesn't significantly overlap with any of
the existing SIGs. The purpose of the SIG is specifically to
develop feature requests after discussion and investigation and
present these to the council which is exactly the process we'd
like SIGs to undertake. The precise proposals will be judged on
their merits when they appear, though of course interested
Council members are encouraged to join the SIG if we approve it.
(And this reminds me that I should be editing
http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/SIG/rules.xml to reflect the
removal of the SIG Coordinator role and its duties having been
merged into the Council Chair's.)

Does anyone have any one have any comments on the approval or not
of this SIG?  If we agree it beforehand then that is one less
item we need to discuss at the meeting.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk