[tei-council] <styleDefDecl> and @scheme

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 15 08:37:12 EDT 2013

On 15/03/13 12:30, Gabriel Bodard wrote:
> Agreed re new attribute, and putting @scheme in a class.
>
> I'm not sure I like the idea of "voting" as any kind of formal method of
> resolving tickets. The TEI Council works on more of a consensus model,
> not requiring unanimity by any means, but informally weighting people's
> objections so that if I say, "I'm a bit uncomfortable with that, but if
> everyone else goes for it I'll bow to the majority" a ticket can pass,
> but if Sebastian says, "No no no, that is abject insanity" a ticket will
> probably stay open until we've all discussed it some more.
>
> What would voting gain us?

I think there probably isn't a way to restrict it to developers
as well. So, on feature requests for example, the community could
be motivated to vote for a particular one that they feel is
important. So If we did enable it, I think it would only be as a
measure of popularity of a particular feature request... for
seting priorities.

But for the reasons you mentioned I'm a tad reluctant to do so
for any serious decision making process. there are cases where
voting is appropriate. (Do you want solution A or solution B?)
But not usually in the decision to implement or not...

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk