[tei-council] Quick survey of defaultVals

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Feb 7 11:44:28 EST 2013

If I wanted to explicitly remove the default value, in my original example:

             <elementSpec ident="list" mode="change">
                 <attList>
                    <attDef ident="type" mode="change" usage="opt">
                       <valList mode="add" type="closed">
                          <valItem ident="ordered"/>
                          <valItem ident="unordered"/>
                       </valList>
                    </attDef>

                 </attList>
              </elementSpec>

would I do it simply by inserting this?

<defaultVal></defaultVal>?

On 13-02-07 08:29 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 7 Feb 2013, at 16:19, Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at BROWN.EDU> wrote:
>
>> I think you've interpreted Sebastian correctly, and true, most users
>> won't ever worry about datatype/@maxOccurs. But I think the same
>> thing ("It's a shame to lose the information that ...") can be
>> equally well applied to quite a few others as well.
>

> sure. I agree, many of those defaultVals contain useful
> information. if we just stop making it formal, since
> formal support is so weird and patchy, we can keep as is.
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
> University of Oxford IT Services

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)