[tei-council] Should Roma be doing this?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 18:31:32 EST 2013

On 6 Feb 2013, at 22:32, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:

> I think the core problem here is that we've been using @type on <list>
> for all these years when we should have been using @rend.

yes and no. I can't shake my conviction that every _modern_ system does make
that fundamental distinction between the ordered and unordered list. Yes of course
we are about transcribing what we see, but those modern things didnt appear from nowhere.

> Doesn't this
> sound more sane?
>
> @rend="bulleted"
> @rend="numbered"
> @rend="simple"
well, sort of. I've always disliked the over-specific "bulleted", and I've never understood
"simple" but I accept thats my problem :-{

> The only value of @type that really looks like a type to me is "gloss",
> but this is used, as far as I understand it, when there is a <label>
> preceding the <item>, and in that case the presence of <label> is
> sufficient to determine the output appearance.
yes, thats true. if there are label children, its a gloss list.

> So I would recommend:
>
> 1. Changing our recommendation so that we provide suggested values for
> @rend, not @type.

ok, I suppose

> 2. Adding a suggestion that using @style with CSS will provide a useful
> range of precise options that cover most cases.

or better, @rendition, in fact. @rendition="#romannumbered" is a more useful
scenario

> 3. Leaving @type on <list>, for backward compatibility, but providing no
> suggested values for it.
not suggested values, but with an example? can we think of one?

> This will cause Sebastian considerable stylesheet-related pain, I know,
> so apologies for that.

yes, I haven't the faintest idea how to know whether to make  <ul> or <ol>.

I suggest that this is such a big bucket of worms that it needs public discussion.
@type on <list> seems so well established in both instances and tools that
I can't help feeling we may provoke howls of protest across the seven seas.
http://www.justgiving.com/SebastianRahtz
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services