[tei-council] "the Guidelines" vs. "these Guidelines"

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Fri Feb 1 23:39:48 EST 2013

On 1/28/13 7:22 AM, James Cummings wrote:
> On 27/01/13 21:49, Lou Burnard wrote:
>> On 27/01/13 19:44, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>>> I count 59 instances of "the Guidelines" and 127 of "these Guidelines".
>>>      Would be nice to stick to just one and document.  I think "these
>>> Guidelines" is clearer but could be talked into using "the Guidelines"
>>> or even leaving things as they are.
>>>

>> Well, there are a few subtle cases ... e.g. "The Guidelines were first
>> published in ..." sounds better than "These Guidelines were first"
>> presumably because we're talking about the bibliographic concept in the
>> former, and the current version in the latter.
>
> I've always said 'The Guidelines' but I suppose 'These' makes
> sense.  But as Lou notes these would have to be checked in each case.

Yes, it does seem that "these Guidelines" refers to the current version
whereas "the Guidelines" refers to the work as a whole, in whatever
edition.  That still leaves quite a few instances of "the Guidelines"
that should be changed to "these Guidelines", some fine day when we've
run out of other things to do.  I've created the lowest priority ticket
possible:

http://purl.org/TEI/BUGS/3603071

--K.