[tei-council] Sex, gender, and http://purl.org/tei/fr/3601624

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 23 09:43:03 EST 2013

Hi TEI Council,

A number of people on twitter pointed out that our use of ISO
5218 for the data.sex datatype.  Melissa Terras has since
submitted a feature request asking us to re-examine this at
http://purl.org/tei/fr/3601624.

I won't repeat the whole discussion on the ticket, please go and
read it there, but simply summarise the basic problem and
encourage you to read and comment on the ticket itself.

As you may know @sex and tei:sex/@value are a TEI datatype
'data.sex' which implements ISO 5218 which is a recommendation
for single-digit representations of sex. This has 0, 1, 2, and 9.
With male coded as '1' and female coded as '2'.  Some believe
that this represents a deeply-rooted patriarchal system that
implies that women are somehow secondary to men. The standard
itself explicitly states that no such implication is intended and
it was simply codifying existing practice amongst member states.
(Countries seemed to use odd/even numbers or 1 / 2.)  The TEI
moved away from a system of 'm', 'f', 'u, and 'x' used in P4 when
developing P5 partly because this standard existed (and where ISO
standards exist for things we are modelling we try to use them if
appropriate), and partly because values like 'm' and 'f' are
generally anglo-centric. However, it has been pointed out that
this might be interpreted as inherent support for this
patriarchal worldview.  I'm quite confident that the TEI does not
want to cause offence to any of its users but needs to balance
that against providing a robust and rigorous scheme.

One solution is to retain our use of ISO 5218 but note on the
data.sex reference page the offence that may be caused and
possibly propose alternatives.

One such alternative is the use of @ana to point to one or more
categories in a local or remote taxonomy, with the benefits of
being able to categorise multiple vectors (e.g. biological sex vs
gender vs sexual identity vs allSortsOfOtherThings), but with the
drawback that it is not a simple international standard. I don't
believe the TEI itself should propose this taxonomy because I
feel it may be too culturally-specific.

If you have (appropriate) thoughts on this issue please post them
on the ticket http://purl.org/tei/fr/3601624.

Many thanks,

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk