[tei-council] Release Process

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 12:05:19 EST 2013

On 18/01/13 16:29, Martin Holmes wrote:
> On 13-01-18 05:54 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>
>> On 18 Jan 2013, at 13:48, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
>>    wrote:
>>

>>> When I said "Council members", it was mainly you I was thinking of. :-)
>>
>> but forking the Guidelines doesn't solve the problem of me
>> breaking the infrastructure XSL...
>
> It would, because your XSL hacking would take place in your own branch.
> Only minor bugfixes would be merged back into the main branch, so the
> builds of P5 would be using the trunk Stylesheets. Meanwhile, you could
> hack away to your heart's content in your own branch, and then merge it
> after the release.

But this is true at the moment... He can and does hack away for
quite awhile before committing back to the main branch.  Just
because he could use git and commit to his own local repository
(which yes gets him the ability to roll back on his own fork),
isn't much different from what happens with SVN.  (Yes, I agree
that him committing to his own fork and making that available and
merging it back in later is better in principle... but remember
that forking and branching can be done in SVN as well (just not
as easily)).

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk