[tei-council] "soft deprecation": use @status='deprecated' ?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Jan 17 22:29:41 EST 2013

One more thing just occurred to me:

Sebastian suggested using Schematron to warn when an element is
deprecated, but that's probably not so good because it will annoy people
still using it. However, we could use Schematron _after_ a deprecated
element is finally deleted, to trap for its presence and explain that it
was previously deprecated and is now gone. That would only hit people
once, when they update their schema after the deletion, and it would
provide a helpful explanation for a situation which might otherwise take
them by surprise or puzzle them.