[tei-council] @xml:space, whitespace and http://purl.org/tei/bug/3600991

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 16 15:49:45 EST 2013

On 16/01/13 13:57, James Cummings wrote:
> Some of the confusion, I think, might revolve around the
> dichotomy (which TEI exposes as false) between a simplistic view
> of an element's content as 'structured' or 'mixed content'.  The
> TEI allows the same element to act as both and <persName> is
> indeed a good example of this.

What?! The TEI does no such thing! You may choose to pretend that your
<persName> doesn't have mixed content but You Are Wrong! You may
redefine its content model so that text nodes are no longer permitted
directly within it -- but that's a modification. This is not a false
dichotomy: it's one we have seen before -- compare <bibl> and
<biblStruct> for example.