[tei-council] display of modified arts in P5

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 14 07:01:56 EST 2013

On 14 Jan 2013, at 11:49, James Cummings <James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk>
 wrote:

> On 14/01/13 11:26, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>> 2) It then creates a new @type element which is modified in some
>>> way but I've no idea how?
>> yes. well, its not a new @type, its a modification of it
>
> Ok, that really isn't how it looks in the Declaration section then. It looks like it is an entirely new attribute to me.

i agree, its not ideal. I am out of ideas on how to present this, though.

>>> 3) It says 'Derived from att.typed' to indicate this is a pure
>>> subset change?
>> no, there is not a _promise_ that its a subset change only.
>> its possible that we might use this to open up a data type?
>
> Wouldn't that be breaking our own rules on Conformance?

not IMHO. this is all part of the guidelines, we set the rules.

> I'm not sure what you mean, surely it would look just like the note that is already there.  I mean just having a standard bit of text we add in these circumstances.  "This attribute has be redefined locally in order to provide a slightly narrowed definition." or something like that?

you could work through this on <title> (which already has a <remark>) and see how it looks. I think your
text there is more confusing than not, but I could be persuaded either way.

my general feeling remains that we're fetishizing attribute classes with all this,
and creating imaginary problems.  but I am aware I am not much good
at empathy :-{

Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services