[tei-council] "soft deprecation": use @status='deprecated' ?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Jan 13 18:52:12 EST 2013

On 13-01-13 12:24 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 13/01/13 19:26, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> On 13 Jan 2013, at 18:51, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
>>    wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect there will be gotchas, though. For instance I just renamed
>>> att.sourced to att.edition; a Birnbaum module that attempted to restore
>>> a deleted attribute to att.sourced would fail because it's not there any
>>> more. We'd have to maintain the Birnbaum module carefully alongside the
>>> main codebase, updating it to take account of changes like this.
>>
>> Yes, it would take some careful thought on how to do it. But it seems worth a
>> try, a maintained schema which confirmed Birnbaumites could access.
>
> I think that's just silly. How would this be different from (or more
> useful than) a previous version of the schema in which the various
> deprecations had not yet taken effect?

It enables you to take advantage of new additions and changes to the
schema, without having to abandon your beloved @key (or whatever it is).

> I say when things are removed, they are removed. End of.

I read that wrong first time. It sounded like you were abrogating to
yourself all authority to remove things, and brooking no argument from
the rest of us. :-)