[tei-council] another High Noon proposal

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 08:59:50 EST 2013

Isn't that a bit misleading? I would have expected (and I think wanted)
to see something like:

... att.typed (@type)

So that, as with any other attribute, I can go to look at the definition
of that attribute in the place where it is defined, see other examples
of its use, etc. (I appreciate this is exactly what is making Lou and
Syd uncomfortable, but if we somewhere carefully express this as
"acquires the following attribute(s) from att.typed"--rather than
"acquires att.typed, namely the following attribute(s)"--that might be
easier?)

So maybe what we really want to see is:

... att.typed[modified] (@type)

or something?

I think I feel quite strongly that if we modify a class for a single
element, then that should be transparently reflected in the guidelines
as well as the schema.

On 2013-01-11 13:48, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2013, at 13:42, Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu>
>   wrote:
>
>> Consultant: This is P5, this says "member of att.typed"
>> User: Has @type and @subtype
>
> but what the User actually reads is
> http://bits.nsms.ox.ac.uk:8080/jenkins/job/TEIP5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-abbr.html
> so he has no idea this is implemented by partial membership of att. typed, so he has no notion of @subtype
>
> similarly, consider <alt>, which gets @target from att. typed:
> http://bits.nsms.ox.ac.uk:8080/jenkins/job/TEIP5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-alt.html
>
> Someone will use the phrase "smoke and mirrors" soon.
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
> University of Oxford IT Services

Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy

Digital Humanities