[tei-council] another High Noon proposal

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Fri Jan 11 08:42:11 EST 2013

I am leaning towards agreeing with Lou on this. I am reminded of the
scene in _Raiders of the Lost Ark_ in which Indiana Jones and صلاح
(Sallah) have asked the wise man Omar to read the markings on a
medallion.
---------
Omar: This were the old way, this says "six Kadan height - "
Indiana: About seventy-two inches.
Omar: Wait!
[turns medallion over]
Omar: "And take back one Kadan, to honor the Hebrew God whose ark this is."
Indiana: Balloq's medallion only had writing on one side? You sure about that?
Sallah: Positive!
Indiana: Balloq's staff is too long.
Indiana, Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!
---------
Consultant: This is P5, this says "member of att.typed"
User: Has @type and @subtype
Consultant: Wait!
[scrolls down]
Consultant: "but take back @subtype, we don't really want it."
User: But *we* really want to use @subtype. You sure about that?
Scholar: Positive!
User: Then we have to put @subtype back.
User, Scholar: We have to use our own namespace!
---------

I'm leaning towards "as an editing convention, we generally don't use
attDef mode="delete" in the source of the TEI Guidelines, and if we
do, it's with great care"; but also to re-arranging the attribute
classes to provide what we need. (Yes, it's a pain, but ...)

att.typed becomes a class that is a member of att.typedGrossly which
provides only @type, and also provided @subtype.

att.media would be a member of att.mediaURLless which provides all
the attrs *except* @url, and att.media defines @url itself. Then
<mediaObject> is a member of att.mediaURLless, and <binaryObject> of
att.media.

I'm not sure that latter is needed. For @subytpe, it's perfectly
reasonable that a project would want to add it back, so we should put
in the effort to make sure that's not difficult. But for @url, if it
really is non-sensical to have it, perhaps the fact that it would be
hard for a user to add it back is not a strong argument, and we
should in this case resort to deleting it from within the Guidelines.

Hmmm ...