[tei-council] another High Noon proposal

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 08:29:34 EST 2013

On 11 Jan 2013, at 13:21, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk>
 wrote:
>> but you don't. you see it has a @type attribute
>
> Interestingly, this is true for <abbr>,  but not for <binaryObject>. The HTML display for the former looks just the same in the most recent build as it ever has i.e. it looks as if @type is locally defined. For binaryObject, however, there is no documentation of or reference to the att.media class attributes it now has at all, except in the declaration for the element. That surely is a bug?

yup. see rebuild currently ongoing.

>> effect by removing the local copy, adding it to att.typed, and then
>> zapping subtype. so the schema is the same as it was before
>
> My point though is that adding it to the class (and thus gaining @subtype) is probably an improvement to the schema

possibly. but presumably that was explicitly rejected way back when, during
the class war?

>   1. as an editing convention, lets not use attDef mode="delete" in TEI Guideline please
>   2. lets make that ban part of the ODD spec and remove the implementation, and document the fact
>
> if we go for 2., then I have to say I don't think its possible before the release, so we'd have to
> put that off; if we go for 1, then we need to decide on whether <abbr> and <title>
> should gain @subtype, or revert to local copies of the attribute
>

> My vote is for 1, and for <abbr> and <title> gaining subtitle.

what about @url on binaryObject, if you follow that line? do you
  a) restore @url as local att on the other elements
  b) make a new class which has just @url, and is a member of att.media
  c) add a schematron rule saying that while @url is technically legal on binaryObject, you shouldn't use it
?
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services