[tei-council] attribute names used in classes which are duplicated on elements

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Jan 8 17:32:54 EST 2013

On 13-01-08 12:57 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 08/01/13 18:35, Martin Holmes wrote:
>>
>> On 13-01-08 10:21 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>>>
>>> but when we do so, we'll deprecate it in att. canonical,
>>> so it will apply to everyone. arguably more honest.
>> True, but in the meantime we'd be providing a new opportunity for people
>> to use @key in a new context, only to deprecate it soon after.
>
> Maybe we might revise our view on the heinousness of @key ? (cf recent
> discussion about lb/@ed)

I don't think I'm going to revise my view, to be honest. I don't think
it's heinous; I just think better options exist (private uri schemes +
dereferencing mechanisms), and I think that as we're continually
expanding the TEI in response to needs, we should also be trying to
deprecate and eventually remove cruft.

The discussion of lb/@ed concluded that we should keep @ed for backwards
compatibility, but add @edRef because it's better; then eventually we
can deprecate @ed too.