[tei-council] attribute names used in classes which are duplicated on elements

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 8 13:21:32 EST 2013

On 8 Jan 2013, at 18:15, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
 wrote:
>>  <g>/@ref is pretty much the same as att.canonical/@ref, but if we
>> add <gi> to att.canonical, it gains @key as well.  Is that a
>> Good Thing or a Bad Thing? obviously we can have the status quo,
>> by adding <attDef ident="key" mode="delete"/> to <g>
>
> I don't think we should add @key to anything, given that we're thinking
> of deprecating it.

but when we do so, we'll deprecate it in att. canonical,
so it will apply to everyone. arguably more honest.

>> Then at a second stage someone can go in and action each case.
>
> One question I raised on the ticket was that with @type and @target,
> more than one class exists. Should we be aiming to collapse those
> classes into one?

at first blush, simply too hard, IMHO

we can either

  a) do the simpler cases first, and leave @type
or
  b) tackle @type head on and clean up others at leisure

my innate laziness suggests a), but b) is equally sensible.
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services