[tei-council] attribute names used in classes which are duplicated on elements

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 8 12:13:11 EST 2013

As per FR 3567935, I have compiled a catalogue at
of all the cases where an attribute name defined in a class is also used on an element.
This happens 49 times. Each of them needs examining to see whether they can now be
replaced with class membership and local override of the given attribute.

you can see the catalogue as an editable spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhciBT9b4XaZdEQ1bmZ6emF0ck9GQU9sWDlFSlRkUFE
(and with better formatting and links at http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/duplatts.html).

this raises many questions. A simple one:

 <g>/@ref is pretty much the same as att.canonical/@ref, but if we
add <gi> to att.canonical, it gains @key as well.  Is that a
Good Thing or a Bad Thing? obviously we can have the status quo,
by adding <attDef ident="key" mode="delete"/> to <g>

I think I could go ahead and do 90% of these myself by common sense, but
thats not sensible :-}. I suggest that we use that spreadsheet
to look at some of these cases and add a decision/recommendation/vote
to the first column. choices may be:

   easy: make all elements members of class
   hard: make elements members of class, but with adjustments (i.e. only having some attributes from class, overriding description)
   harder: some elements only, needs careful thought
   impossible: the attributes are definitely not the same beast

I have some suggestions already

Then at a second stage someone can go in and action each case.
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services