[tei-council] <specList>s in Guidelines: exhaustive or selected?

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 28 12:16:38 EST 2012

On 28/12/12 17:06, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> I am unclear on whether <specList>s in the Guidelines are supposed to
> list all child elements or just those that are most relevant.

That is a stylistic issue. A specList will typically list all the
elements discussed within a given section. Sometimes (quite often in the
Header) sections are organised in terms of the hierarchic structure but
this is definitely not necessarily the case: you can group the elements
discussed in a section in any way that makes sense (as for example in
the Core chapter). You can also choose not to discuss all the elements
which might appear as content for the elements being discussed -- lots
of elements have a content model of paraContent: you wouldn't want all
the components of para Content to be listed anew each time each such
element is discussed.

   This has
> come up in http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3585570 , and I would like to clarify
> it at