[tei-council] Standard form for elementSpec/desc

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Dec 26 17:39:03 EST 2012

On 12-12-26 02:21 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Seems fine to me to change them, if you have the energy. I wouldn't
> give a huge high priority myself tho.

I think it makes the Guidelines prose appear unprofessional. Anyone who
teaches writing or is a bit pedantic like me will feel a slight jar when
they come across bad parallel structure.

> Wonder why you want us to read chapters, James? So little has
> changed.

I'll wager than many of the admittedly minor changes we've made over
many months have never been proofed properly by anyone other than the
submitter (this is a consequence of "silence means assent"). Also, over
the long haul, as lots of minor changes and edits accumulate, I think a
chapter can drift into slight incoherence. I think it's a good idea for
every chapter to be proofed once in a while.

I pity the people born in March and November, though. Big chapters.

 > Not better to try and close old tickets? I started on one
> from march 2011 today but ran out f time.

We should be doing that too. But sometimes proofing is something you can
manage when you're not really up to tackling a difficult ticket.

> yrs, on a ferry in harwich about to depart for The Continent.

Surely A Continent.