[tei-council] some questions about non-textual components and media

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Dec 18 12:36:53 EST 2012

On 12-12-18 09:20 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I am still wary of the complexity described at http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-html5-20121217/, section 4.8.9
>
> please don't tell me people won't ask for any of all the attributes and children described there…...

They may ask, but that would be a different feature request. The HTML
elements are all about the actual embedding of a media presentation in a
document which is to be processed by a user agent for an end user to
consume; TEI is not really doing anything comparable.* Whether a video
should loop or not when being played is something to be decided by the
processing that generates some kind of output from the TEI file, rather
than the TEI file itself.

I think the scenarios we should be thinking about here are

  - Born-digital documents that include media files (e.g. journal
articles including audio or video).

  - Transcriptions of primary sources where editorial content such as
annotations may include audio or video.

*Of course, you have to think about what the Stylesheets are going to do
with these elements, and I can see why that would be a worrying
prospect. But there are lots of things the default Stylesheets can't
really be expected to deal with, and this might be one of them. You can
always just turn them into links.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)