[tei-council] some questions about non-textual components and media

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Dec 18 12:10:54 EST 2012

Bringing this discussion to the Council list for a minute:

There's a ticket relating to handling of audio and video has already
been open for a long time (and is assigned to me, although it's red):

<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2724997&group_id=106328&atid=644065>

Council minutes from April this year show that we discussed it:

<http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Meetings/tcm50.xml>

[quote]
2724997 and 2507305: These relate to the linking of TEI texts to audio
and video. The consensus is that there should be at least a simple way
to do this, but it’s not clear how best to approach it. PB:

<timeline> works for audio, and <facsimile> works for static images;
what’s required for video is some clever combination of the two.

Consensus is that we need to create a working group to make recommendations.

KH: We should make an open call on the TEI list for people who could
participate in the group.

Action: JC will write to TEI-L asking for people who are interested in
this area to get in touch. He will run the message by Council first.
These people will join a Council working group to come back with a
consistent proposal to be discussed later at this meeting.
[/quote]

and the action list shows we then postponed any action pending a report
from Lou from a workshop on speech and video. That was taking place in
October or November IIRC, and I can't remember if Lou reported back or not.

In any case, that ticket, which is concerned with pointing at specific
locations or ranges in media files, has kind of blocked us from
proceeding on what is a much simpler requirement: the need to point to
audio and video files as we can to graphics. If no-one has any
objection, I'd like to put in a feature request for a <media> element:

element media
{
     att.global.attributes,
     att.global.linking.attributes,
     att.global.analytic.attributes,
     att.global.facs.attributes,
     att.global.change.attributes,
     att.internetMedia.attributes,
     att.declaring.attributes,
     att.duration,
     attribute url { data.pointer },
     model.descLike*
}

which would answer the immediate need, and would give us a starting
point for addressing the issue of pointing to specific offsets in media
files, zones on videos, and so on, which is a much more complicated issue.

On 12-12-18 08:55 AM, Roberto Rosselli Del Turco wrote:
> Il 18/12/2012 17:05, Martin Holmes ha scritto:
>> On 12-12-18 03:34 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>>> I would not be averse to deprecating <graphic> in favour of a simple
>>> <media desc="how hard can it be"> which explicitly allows video, audio
>>> and still pictures,
>>> as a shorthand fior the full paraphernalia needed for born-digital
>>> multimedia.
>>>
>>> in the short term, myself i'd abuse <graphic>. In fact I already do, I
>>> see:
>>>
>>>          <graphic url="Pages/07 Father, set you.mp4"
>>> mimeType="video/mpeg4"/>
>>
>> I must admit I don't like this. I'd rather see a <media> element:
>>
>> element media
>> {
>>      att.global.attributes,
>>      att.global.linking.attributes,
>>      att.global.analytic.attributes,
>>      att.global.facs.attributes,
>>      att.global.change.attributes,
>>      att.internetMedia.attributes,
>>      att.declaring.attributes,
>>      att.duration,
>>      attribute url { data.pointer },
>>      model.descLike*
>> }
>
> Voting for <media> too, it just looks like the most effective (and
> elegant) solution for the problem.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)