[tei-council] Some working papers the new Council members might like to look at

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Dec 17 12:11:00 EST 2012

Hi all,

During the teleconference, James mentioned that there are some useful
resources on the wiki for Council members. There are also some helpful
documents on the TEI site itself, in the working papers:

TCW 20: "How to edit the TEI Guidelines"
<http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw20.xml>

This is a work-in-progress which endeavours to explain how the
Guidelines are built, and how to make changes and check that your
changes have worked. Now I come to look at it, I see at least one thing
which is out of date (it tells you to use <!ENTITY...> declarations when
you add a new file, and we've now switched over to XInclude, so I'll
have to update that bit). But that aside, I think it's helpful.

TCW22: "Building a TEI Release"
<http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw22.xml>

This is the document that Hugh will have to follow when he's acting as
the release technician in January. It aims to be a complete,
step-by-step guide to everything that needs to happen during the release
process. We've used it for several releases now, and every time, we've
added more detail, clarification or correction, so it's pretty good at
this point.

TCW 24: " Style Guide for Editing the TEI Guidelines"
<http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw24.xml>

This is currently quite basic, but growing; it tends to be added to when
we have some disagreement or discussion about some element of style, and
need to record our consensus.

While you are new and getting familiar with the system, it would be
helpful if you could make some notes on what is puzzling or
undocumented, so we can fill those holes with better explanatory material.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)