[tei-council] outstanding questions regarding P4 deprecation in the Vault

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sun Dec 16 12:15:56 EST 2012

On 12/13/12 12:50 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 13/12/12 16:45, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>>
>> A) What do we do about files in http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/DTD/ ?
> shd be permanent redirects to the Vault

Noted.

>> B) What do we do about
>> http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/Customization/Lite/DTD/ ? The URL that
>> is used for the P4 TEI Lite DTD in oXygen and no doubt elsewhere points
>> to http://www.tei-c.org/Lite/DTD/teixlite.dtd , which in turn redirects
>> to http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/Customization/Lite/DTD/teixlite.dtd .
> Not sure I understand the question. The p4 teilite dtd is not supported
> anymore, is it? so these should be in the vault too.

Yes, you're right.  David and I overlooked that, I didn't think it
through before relaying this question that arose to all of you.  I'm
working on plan for migrating Lite P4 to the Vault.  David or I might
come back to Lou asking for a technically correct description of P4 Lite.

>> C) The link at http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/ for P4 now points to the
>> Vault. Any objections to removing mention of P4 from this page entirely
>> (since it's no longer supported)?
>
> No strong objection, but it might be kind to add a sentence to the
> effect that older versions of the Guidelines (P1, P32, P3, and P4) are
> all available from the Vault.

I didn't want to list some but not all deprecated versions, but I like
this approach.  After all, people looking for an old version might well
start at http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/ and not think to go look in
the Vault.

>> D) James has suggested adding a note at the top of
>> http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/P4/doc/html/index.html – or to all HTML files
>> – noting that P4 is no longer supported. Kevin notes that we didn't
>> attempt to do this with P1, P2, and P3 as far as I know, and I don't
>> think it's worth the effort for P4. People who are using it already know
>> it's not current, and the fact that 'Vault/' is now in the URL should
>> clue them in if they've somehow had their head in the ground for the
>> past five years.
>
> I can understand the desire to add warning messages or a popup that says
> "Warning ! You are using a superannuated version of the TEI Guidelines!
> Don't blame us if everything goes wrong! "  but I share your feeling
> that it's probably unnecessary.

Noted.

--K.