[tei-council] outstanding questions regarding P4 deprecation in the Vault

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Thu Dec 13 11:45:29 EST 2012

Per our discussion during today's conf call, I'm asking you all for any
comments you have on these outstanding matters related to moving P4 to
the Vault.

A) What do we do about files in http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/DTD/ ?
(which is the same except whitespace for content originally at
http://www.tei-c.org/P4X/DTD/ and now at
http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/P4/xml/schema/dtd/ ) Do we leave these files
there so they can be directly found as targets of the P4 DTD (typically
invoked as http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/DTD/tei2.dtd), or do we put
in permanent redirects to the Vault location?

B) What do we do about
http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/Customization/Lite/DTD/ ? The URL that
is used for the P4 TEI Lite DTD in oXygen and no doubt elsewhere points
to http://www.tei-c.org/Lite/DTD/teixlite.dtd , which in turn redirects
to http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/Customization/Lite/DTD/teixlite.dtd .

C) The link at http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/ for P4 now points to the
Vault. Any objections to removing mention of P4 from this page entirely
(since it's no longer supported)?

D) James has suggested adding a note at the top of
http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/P4/doc/html/index.html – or to all HTML files
– noting that P4 is no longer supported. Kevin notes that we didn't
attempt to do this with P1, P2, and P3 as far as I know, and I don't
think it's worth the effort for P4. People who are using it already know
it's not current, and the fact that 'Vault/' is now in the URL should
clue them in if they've somehow had their head in the ground for the
past five years.

--Kevin