[tei-council] <quotation>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 04:48:12 EST 2012

as you'll probably have seen on TEI-L, I note that <quotation> is an optional element, with
an optional attribute "marks". This "indicates whether or not quotation marks have been retained as content within the text."
and has      <defaultVal>all</defaultVal>

I'd like to ask permission to remove that <defaultVal>, for two reasons

  a) we can't implement default values in RELAXNG schemas
  b) because <quotation> is optional, the meaning of the "default" is ambiguous

I note that the Guidelines examples seem universally to
NOT retain quotation marks.
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services