[tei-council] whither HTML of Guidelines and @lang

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 23 06:23:11 EST 2012

On 23/11/12 11:15, Gabriel Bodard wrote:
> Why do we need to validate the HTML output of the Guidelines? HTML5
> doesn't even need to be well-formed XML (although it can be, and I like
> it to be). As Sebastian was arguing earlier in the TEI-L thread on
> @lang, the HTML is just a delivery medium, not something we need to
> process or expect anyone else to re-use, right?
>
> If we produce HTML5 to the best of our ability, and don't get it all
> right first time, what breaks?

It just seems to me to be a good policy for a markup-related
standard's website to make error-free use of other markup
standards in its website.  If we were selling bicycles I wouldn't
care. ;-)

I suggest we stick with what we have (but with Sebastian's fix
using @xml:lang) and reinvestigate in the new year?  (I.e. I
think we have other things that are a higher priority.) What do
others think?

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk