[tei-council] whither HTML of Guidelines and @lang

James Cummings james.cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 23 05:07:01 EST 2012

Isn't another option to step back to XHTML 1.0 ? If memory serves one of its types allows @lang doesn't it?  (Unchecked... do correct me if wrong!)

Not saying that is what I want. If we don't have good validation procedure for guidelines in html5 then we should probably not use it. IMHO.

JamesC

--
James Cummings, Academic IT Services, University of Oxford

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

Just  a report

As some if you will have noticed, meeting the request for @lang in web pages destroyed the Guidelines,
since they are pure XHTML, and that whats @xml:lang. Easy enough to fix, the of course the resulting
pages only have @xml:lang which browsers don't grok.

three choices

   1. forget validating our pages against  a strict XHTML schema, let them fly like doves
   2. generate @xml:lang as per the purists and accept that its useless
   3. switch entirely to HTML5  and accept the concomitant work to get it valid and politically correct (believe me, this aint that easy)

last night I implemented 2., to stop the build failing.

A 5 minute experiment with 3. found that a) there doesn't seem to be a simple HTML5 validation, and b) support for all the p.c. details of HTML5
are lacking in my XSL

If people prefer option 1., thats obviously easy
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services