[tei-council] Constraints on anyURI

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 18:10:53 EST 2012

On 19 Nov 2012, at 22:51, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
 wrote:
> I think Saxon is probably playing it safe. As the spec says, there's no
> way to reliably resolve a URI, especially given the range of registered
> and unregistered URI schemes that exist, so the best we can probably do
> is check for some things we know must be wrong (such as spaces, commas
> and perhaps percent signs which don't precede hex numbers). If we do
> this through Schematron it will presumably work for everyone that's
> using RNG with embedded Schematron.

trouble is, when I tried this,. it was clear that Saxon is doing url-encoding
for me. the output of resolve-uri() from

n-/////CTL
foo:n-CT::#:L
http:/n-CTL t-TR Ø-OBJ, n-SUBJ

was

file:/Users/rahtz/TEI/Sourceforge/trunk/P5/Exemplars/n-/CTL
foo:n-CT::#:L
http:/n-CTL%20t-TR%20?-OBJ,%20n-SUBJ

So it is hard to catch it out!
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services