[tei-council] biblscope and imprint

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 5 06:40:41 EST 2012

Just to be sure I understand what we're saying now:

  * Kevin and I had originally proposed to include in the analytic the
page range taken up by it in the following monogr (and so forth; the
volume-range of a monogr in the following series, ecc.);
  * Lou quite rightly pointed out that this is impossible because an
analytic might appear in two different monogrs with different page
numbering;
  * we are now proposing instead that a biblScope should be contained in
the element that is being limited by it (e.g. in the monogr a subset of
whose pages make up the preceding analytic).

Actually, looking at ticket http://purl.org/tei/FR/3555190, I see this
is how we encoded the Schachter example, so the biblScope in analytic
model was obviously already abandoned before August. So that's not the
controversy at all. :-|

Kevin's markup below looks right to me, and I agree that biblScope
doesn't belong in imprint, since the volume or page range is not part of
the publication information. I'm looking slightly askance at the page,
volume and issue biblScopes all being at the same level, but I can't
think of any better way to do it.

I'm still concerned about our Schachter example on the ticket, however.
I totally take Lou's point that 2 monogrs in a single biblStruct would
normally mean the chapter/article appears twice in two different
publications. How would we then mark up the case we have here, which is
an article in a volume in a multi-vol monograph in a series?

(And how would you handle an article that appears in two different
monographs, each part of a different series.)

The only way I can think of to handle both of these cases unambiguously
would be to nest analytic, monogr and series as appropriate, but that
would be a huge change to the way biblStruct currently works, so I
suspect would not be at all popular.

(For the simpler case, however, I think we're all in agreement.)

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy

Digital Humanities