[tei-council] TEI Guidelines display

Rebecca Welzenbach rwelzenbach at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:03:24 EDT 2012

I agree that offering the expansion of the tag name in the gloss, in
addition to a translation, makes a lot of sense. As others have already
said, even if we want to think of the tag names as language independent
tokens they really are derived from words, almost always English, and
contain meaningful patterns (-grp, -list, -stmt, -decl, etc.) that should
be laid bare. It is reasonable (and seems only fair) to offer the same
expansions in the English and translated versions of the Guidelines.

This reminds me of learning the periodic table of elements in school. I
wish the teachers had explained the roots of Au, Ag, Pb, etc., rather than
just telling us we had to memorize them and making up arbitrary mnemonic
devices. Even if you don't know the language, if there is a
connection/explanation for the tag name that is perfectly simple and
sensible, it's better to offer it than not to.

I also agree that the gloss for <secFol> ought to give the expansion
"secundo folio," not "second folio."