[tei-council] Roma oddity

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Oct 29 18:38:17 EDT 2012

I'm about to raise a bug for this, but before I do, I just want to check
I'm not misunderstanding something crucial.

If I want to remove the @status attribute from the <change> element, I
should presumably do this:

     <elementSpec ident="change" module="header" mode="change">
       <attList>
         <attDef ident="status" mode="delete"/>
       </attList>
     </elementSpec>

(That's what the Roma GUI puts in an ODD file if I delete the @status
attribute from <change>). If I create an ODD file containing that,
though, and generate a schema, it contains this:

<define name="change">
     <element name="change">
       <a:documentation
xmlns:a="http://relaxng.org/ns/compatibility/annotations/1.0">documents
a change or set of changes made during the production
   of a source document, or during the revision of an electronic file.
[2.5.  2.4.1. ]</a:documentation>
       <ref name="macro.specialPara"/>
       <ref name="att.ascribed.attributes"/>
       <ref name="att.datable.attributes"/>
       <ref name="att.docStatus.attributes"/>
       <ref name="att.global.attributes"/>
       <ref name="att.typed.attributes"/>
       <optional>
         <attribute name="target">
           <a:documentation
xmlns:a="http://relaxng.org/ns/compatibility/annotations/1.0">points to
one or more elements that belong to this change.</a:documentation>
           <list>
             <oneOrMore>
               <ref name="data.pointer"/>
             </oneOrMore>
           </list>
         </attribute>
       </optional>
       <empty/>
     </element>
   </define>

@status is define in att.docStatus, and appears in the schema thus:

   <define name="att.docStatus.attributes">
     <ref name="att.docStatus.attribute.status"/>
   </define>
   <define name="att.docStatus.attribute.status">
     <optional>
       <attribute
xmlns:a="http://relaxng.org/ns/compatibility/annotations/1.0"
name="status" a:defaultValue="draft">
         <a:documentation>describes the status of a document either
currently or, when
associated with a dated element, at the time indicated.
Sample values include: 1] approved; 2] candidate; 3] cleared; 4]
deprecated; 5] draft; 6] embargoed; 7] expired; 8] frozen; 9] galley;
10] proposed; 11] published; 12] recommendation; 13] submitted; 14]
unfinished; 15] withdrawn</a:documentation>
         <ref name="data.enumerated"/>
       </attribute>
     </optional>
   </define>

So my attempt to delete @status from <change> appears to have failed. I
get similar results using my local CLI roma (4.9) and the online version.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)