[tei-council] Jenkins config changes

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Oct 29 11:58:13 EDT 2012

On 12-10-28 03:34 PM, James Cummings wrote:
> On 28/10/12 21:58, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> i think a more important rule is to have a week's freeze before a release,
>> and an action on everyone to check the lastSuccessfulArtefacts
>> in Jenkins for oddities.
>
> I certainly support that.  If no one disagrees, can we just make
> that Council policy?  I.e. all intentional changes done a week
> before the scheduled release date, and then it be proofread by
> cancel before release? (i.e. only mistakes introduced by the
> recent changes or typos changed after that)  Can anyone think of
> a reason why we shouldn't do that (aside from it forcing us to
> stick to our deadlines)?

That would definitely be good, but what actually happened on release day
was that someone reported a crucial bug which couldn't be allowed into
the release, so Sebastian had to leap in and start changing things. So I
think what we have to say is:

  - Freeze one week ahead

  - If release-blocking bug is found, release date is moved and the
one-week freeze starts again once the bug is fixed.

Also, if people DO diligently check stuff during the one-week freeze,
they will _inevitably_ find things that need fixing. Do we fix such
things or not? If so, do we restart the freeze for typo-fixes etc.?

Although the particular issue that caused our problem this time
shouldn't occur again, I still think it's a bit of a wake-up call, and
even given a week's time for everyone to check the release, we should
still be looking at some automated checking of the release package
contents, to make sure all dates and versions are correct, etc. We
should also be trying to imagine as many possible problems as we can,
and seeing if we can check for them automatically.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)