[tei-council] Report from Berlin

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Oct 23 16:50:47 EDT 2012

Thanks Lou for such a clear and detailed account. This looks very
interesting.

I've just been doing some work with ISOCAT myself, in an effort to start
mapping feature structures from a TEI dictionary onto the GOLD 2010
ontology, as expressed in ISOCAT. There are a couple of minor issues we
should look at here (see below for boring detail).

I've also been talking to Laurent a little about the possibility of TEI
as a serialization for Lexical Markup Framework, and I'm expecting to
work more on this ahead of a presentation at the ICLDC3 conference in
Hawaii next year. LMF is also an ISO standard, so Laurent's mission to
bring ISO standards and TEI into closer integration is moving forward.

Issues I've found with ISOCAT/TEI integration:

It's not precisely clear to me how the attributes dcr:datcat and
dcr:valueDatcat should map into a system with multiple hierarchical
levels; and given such a system, I don't see the value of dcr:datcat
since whatever level of ancestor it's supposed to point to can be
discovered from what dcr:valueDatcat is pointing at. Meanwhile, it
remains impossible to point to a particular ontology in ISOCAT because
they don't have unique ids/URIs, but individual ontological components
can be imported into multiple ontologies, so AFAICS you can't specify
that you're pointing at the instance of 3062 (AcousticProperty) that's
in RELISH / GOLD 2010, or the one that's in GOLD / GOLD 2010, or one
that's somewhere else (assuming this could be said to matter).

This could all be due to my own ignorance, of course.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)