[tei-council] moduleRef/@except != elementSpec[@mode=delete]

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 8 07:15:53 EDT 2012

This is arcane and probably not very interesting, but a bit confusing to me:

I recently decided to change the EpiDoc ODD from listing almost 100
elementSpecs with mode=delete at the end of the schemaSpec, to listing
these elements in the @except attribute on the relevant moduleRefs, on
the assumption that the resulting schema would be functionally (if not
byte-level) identical.

To my slight surprise, although the schema still seems to validate all
of the files that it did before, there are a huge number of changes to
the RNG code, that I thought I'd better check here are both expected and
harmless. In about 80% of cases where the RNG contained an element:

<define name="tei_model.msQuoteLike">
immediately followed by:
<define name="tei_model.msQuoteLike_alternation">

the tei_model.*_alternation is missing from the new schema.

As I say, this hasn't made my schema stop working, but I don't know if
this is just because I never used any of these "alternation" features
that were there before. Is this something Sebastian needs to worry
about, or is it all expected and benign? (And if the latter, could
someone explain to me what is the expected functional difference between
using @except and @mode=delete?

Thanks,

Gabby

--