[tei-council] @style /rend/rendition coexistence

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 5 15:58:04 EDT 2012

On 05/10/12 20:45, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 5 Oct 2012, at 20:37, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk>
>   wrote:
>
>>> If I meet <hi style="font-weight:bold;" rend="italic">hello</hi>
>>> I guess I am just going to swallow nervously and generate
>>> and
>>>   {\bfseries\itshape hello}
>>> etc
>>
>> I think that's the start of a very very slippery slope
>
> not sure why?

because you are mixing languages. it's ok to unify @rendition and @style
values because they come from the same domain, but I dont think you can
ever do that with @rend. Maybe my @rend="italic" means "uses a fair
Italian hand"

>>> but equally I dont mind being told that @rend wipes out @style/@rendition
>>> --
>>
>> "wipes out" in what sense? the attributes are all still there; it's up to your app what it does with them.
>

> ok, put it another way, @style and @rend are alternates. the encoder has kindly provided two different
> ways of describing what the source looks like, you can read whichever you like (but not process both if you
> are a stylesheet).

yes, i think I would agree with that. A stylesheet can of course do
whatever it likes, but the idea that @rend is an ALTERNATIVE to the
others makes good sense.

> did we ever decide what <hi rend="nice" rendition="#lions">hello</hi> means?

Well, if we agree on the above, it means that some aspects of the
rendition of the source are "nice" and some others (possibly the same,
but not necessarily) are described by whatever #lions is pointing to,
possibly unified with whatever the default properties for <hi> are.

> oh what a tangled web we've woved for ourselves with this business.

I blame that J Walsh.