[tei-council] @style /rend/rendition coexistence

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 5 15:12:34 EDT 2012

On 05/10/12 19:46, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 5 Oct 2012, at 19:08, Lou Burnard<lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk>
>   wrote:
>> <foo style="something else" rend="wibble">  mean?
> If I meet<hi style="font-weight:bold;" rend="italic">hello</hi>
> I guess I am just going to swallow nervously and generate
>   {\bfseries\itshape hello}
> etc
> but equally I dont mind being told that @rend wipes out @style/@rendition

I would argue against this. I can envision quite easily a project
workflow where one person is adding @rend values from a
constrained list because that is all they are capable and someone
else is looking at _different_ features and adding @rendtion
rules because they know XSL-FO in the same project.  Ok, the
@rend values may be converted at a later point to @rendition for
consistency but it should not be seen and wrong or bad practice
to have both.

But again, you are interpreting based on your need and fears of
implementation in the stylesheet suite. (Which is good, laudable,
and understandable.) But we can't let stylesheet implementation
drive the definition of the documentation aspect of this. The
user is documenting their interpretation of the original, not
coding to a particular output. Or at least, they *shouldn't* be
and one of my arguments against @style was that I feel it
encourages this, especially in processing born digital documents.
  (If I was being extreme I might be tempted to argue we should
never have <hi style="font-weight:bold">...</hi> in born digital
documents because we shouldn't be marking 'highlighting' only
semantic instances of 'emphasis' or 'distinct' or similar for
which we have elements.)

-James

Dr James Cummings, researchsupport at it.ox.ac.uk
Research Support, IT Services, University of Oxford