[tei-council] Schematron embedded in RelaxNG

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 25 09:48:36 EDT 2012

On 25/09/12 14:33, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 25 Sep 2012, at 14:23, James Cummings <James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk>
>   wrote:
>
>> There is a question here, isn't there... should our default
>> oXygen templates have the extra schematron constraint?
>>

> eh? that doesn't make sense to me at first blush. what do you mean?

I'm abusing the word constraint there, sorry.

What I mean is should our template TEI files for oXygen have both
the <?xml-model?> for the relaxng and (pointing to the same file)
the <?xml-model?> for the schematron?

If you just have the relaxng <?xml-model?> you don't get the
schematron constraints.  The doc of the document must have both:
<?xml-model
href="http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/custom/schema/relaxng/tei_all.rng"
schematypens="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"?>
<?xml-model
href="http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/custom/schema/relaxng/tei_all.rng"
type="application/xml"
schematypens="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron"?>

My question is whether that should be the default.  Currently we
only provide:

<?xml-model
href="http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/custom/schema/relaxng/tei_all.rng"
schematypens="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"?>

This will affect users who, for example, have <lg> without a
single <l> in it which is valid under the relaxng but not if you
add the schematron.

Is that clearer?

Dr James Cummings, researchsupport at it.ox.ac.uk
Research Support, IT Services, University of Oxford