[tei-council] SIG Reports

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 19 04:29:53 EDT 2012

SIG Report: TEI Council Face to Face Oxford 2012-09

Tools:
Serge Heiden: I have been in contact with Marjorie Burghart, as
TEI Board member,
about the future of the Tools SIG this summer. The board seems to
have ideas for that SIG, and I think this is good.

Music:
Raffaele Viglianti: I think it would be helpful to have a SIG
coordinator of some sorts. I imagine that these are some of the
tasks for a coordinator (they're are not too different form my
previous experience of SIG coordinators):
- ping the convenors regularly to see if the SIGs are still
active or have plans to be so
- receive proposals for new SIGs and present them to the council
- coordinate funding rounds (when there's money that can be
allocated)
For regular queries to and interaction with the council, I have
found the "contact person" to be a more helpful figure.

Correspondence:
Joachim Veit: If Raffaele would have left some space below his
mail this would have been the best place for "signing in" to
consent with his mail! We from the SIG correspondence found it
very helpful to have someone who coordinated the establishement
and work of the SIG a bit. So I think this is a very senseful
post for the TEI and thus I sign "above" Raffaele's mail to
confirm his arguments.

Text&Graphics:
John Walsh:
	I apologize for not responding sooner. I don't have anything of
substance to report from the Text and Graphics SIG. A small group
met in Würzburg, and we had an interesting discussion, but
nothing specific to report.  I do believe the SIG would be a
useful contributor if and when the Council decides its time to
revise or revisit things in the Guidelines related to facsimile,
figure, and other graphic components.
	Although not a direct result of SIG work, I did finally publish
(in DHQ) a long article on Comic Book Markup Language, which is
related to the general topic of the SIG, and I hope the article,
ODD, etc. is a useful contribution to this are of the TEI. And in
recent years work has continued on projects like uVic's Image
Markup Tool, TextGrid's TBLE/TILE, and the other TILE from MITH
and Indiana U. So I think topic of TEI, Text, and Graphics
remains an important area of interest to some TEIers, and there
is reason for the SIG to continue, both as an intellectual
community and as a potential resource for the Council and others.

LingSIG: Piotr Banski will talk tomorrow.

Ontologies: Øyvind Eide:
Sorry about the delay in replying. Since the last TEI meeting,
the Ontologies SIG has issued several feature requests, and are
currently working on at least one more.

Dr James Cummings, researchsupport at it.ox.ac.uk
Research Support, IT Services, University of Oxford