[tei-council] tcw20.xml (Editing the TEI Guidelines)

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Thu Sep 13 13:48:23 EDT 2012

On 9/13/2012 12:00 AM, Martin Holmes wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On 12-09-12 07:43 PM, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>> While this is very helpful, it seems that the first half of it needs to
>> be adapted for inclusion in chapter 23 of the Guidelines. That is, we
>> would not refer to specific files like att.datable.xml and not refer to
>> something that has already been added into the Guidelines. After all,
>> if anyone not on Council wants to use Schematron, they would never think
>> to look at tcw20 (or even know it exists)! What you would leave here is
>> the explanation of how trunk/P5/Text works and what follows.
>
> I have nothing against including it in the Guidelines, but I think if we
> do start explaining how to use Schematron in the Glines we'll have to
> start from the assumption that readers know less and are much less
> familiar that Council members are with the TEI infrastructure. That
> wasn't my brief. I'm trying to write specifically for people with enough
> understanding of the system that they've made some edits in trunk
> already, seen Jenkins build, and are ready to move on to something
> slightly more challenging.

Right, I understand.  But the first half of
http://hcmc.uvic.ca/people/martin/tcw20.html#schematron does not assume
that a user knows anything about the TEI infrastructure beyond what's
already in the Guidelines.  So I think it could be incorporated easily
enough.

>> b) I don't care for use of "to fire" and "to be fired" in reference to a
>> test condition.
>
> I think it's pretty much exactly what happens. We could use "triggered"
> too. What else do you suggest?

While "triggered" is okay, I prefer something more neutral like saying
that a condition is met or satisfied.  "To fire" wouldn't easily
understood by a non-native speaker.

--K.