[tei-council] experimental modules?

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Tue Sep 4 12:34:51 EDT 2012

To address those questions of Lou's that I feel I can address ...

On 9/4/2012 12:02 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> Once you start looking there are quite a few things to improve on this page...
>
> 1. Why is there a link to the doc for Lite but not for any of the others?

I assume Lou is referring to
http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/Customization/ and not
http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/Customization/odds.xml .  The former
includes a link to the HTML and PDF versions of Lite and Tite.  Only
these are included because they are on the only ones I have ever found
within http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-exemplars/ .  (I see that
the PDF links no longer work.  Sebastian, have they moved?)

If we can and should produce documentation of the other customzations, I
would be happy to add them to the site.

> 2. Why is ODD regarded as experimental or restricted? dont we want anyone to use it?

Right, this is what I've been trying to get at with this email thread.

> 3. On what basis are these "TEI community" customisations selected? Is MEP still being maintained or used? has it progressed beyond P3?

(These customizations are listed at
http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/Customization/ .)

I'm not sure who created this list, but since becoming assistant
webmaster for the TEI-C I have added the link to TEI with Music Notation
after it was announced on TEI-L and added the Best Practices for TEI in
Libraries to this list as we've agreed in our recent meetings.  My
understanding is that any customization not maintained by the Council
can be added here.  While we could formulate some sort of selection
process, I find "TEI Community Customizations" to be clear that these
are not endorsed by the TEI, so I'm not sure this is needed.  We could
add a brief statement to this effect just after the heading.  Thoughts?

On the question of MEP, since the website no longer exists, I am not
opposed to removing it from the list.  MEP is incidentally included in
the list of projects on TEI website, so it won't disappear from the
historical record by removing it.  Thoughts?

--Kevin