[tei-council] Dates and calendars

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Aug 14 16:46:36 EDT 2012

Lou says:

> My first thought was that @calendar by definition tells you how to
> interpret the content of the <date>. Ergo if there is no content, but
> there is a @when (or, for that matter, a @when-custom), specifying
> @calendar can only lead to confusion. The @calendar value does NOT apply
> to either @when or @when-custom (or you would not be able to supply both)

Here's my problem with that: att.datable.custom provides "attributes for
normalization of elements that contain datable events to a custom dating
system (i.e. other than the Gregorian used by W3 and ISO)."

In other words, if you use @when-custom and friends, it's because the
calendar is not Gregorian.

So somewhere you have to specify what that calendar is. The obvious
place is in @calendar. This is especially important if there is no
workable conversion between the calendar in use in the host element and
the Gregorian (as in the case of Anno Mundi dates, for instance, about
which there is potential disagreement to the extent of 1500 years).

So I think it's important to be able to use @calendar whenever you use
@*-custom, and @calendar SHOULD be taken to refer to the values of
@*-custom. In other words, I think the definition of @calendar should be
expanded thus:

"indicates the system or calendar to which the date represented by the
content of this element, and/or the dates expressed in attributes from
att.datable.custom, belong."

Without this, there's no way to provide a formal link from a date like this:

<date when-custom="3050"/>

to a calendar (e.g. Anno Mundi). You can say that we should do this:

<date when-custom="3050" calendar="#anno_mundi">3050</date>

which is true, but the value of the custom attribute is that it can be
constrained according to known rules (documented in <calendar>) and
therefore processed. And it's surely perverse to say that in this
situation, the @calendar refers to the text content, but NOT to the
@when-custom attribute, when the purpose of the @when-custom attribute
is to allow you to encode non-Gregorian dates in a formal way.

So I think we should expand @calendar as suggested above.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)