[tei-council] Dates and calendars

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Aug 14 11:31:53 EDT 2012

On 12-08-14 04:15 AM, Gabriel Bodard wrote:
> On 2012-08-13 18:44, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> This does seem to be a good candidate for a schematron rule, so I'll do
>> that, assuming Gabby agrees, and I'll also use it as the basis for the
>> little guide to writing constraints that I've been supposed to be
>> creating for ages.
>
> What is this schematron supposed to be constraining? No @calendar if
> <date> (etc) is empty?

I think so. That should be true, shouldn't it?

> No *-custom without @datingPoint|@datingMethod?

I had thought so, but then I realized I wouldn't want to enforce either
of those things. If @calendar points to a <calendar> with a detailed
description of the dating system, then there's no point in @datingMethod
(which also "supplies a pointer to a <calendarDesc> element or other
means of interpreting the values of the custom dating attributes".
(Incidentally, should that be <calendarDesc> or just <calendar>?)
Similarly, @datingPoint is obviously optional.

However, I think it's true to say, isn't it, that if you have any of
@*-custom, you should have one of @calendar, @datingMethod or @datingPoint?

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)